Leiden Innovation Center. An iconic building and prestigious landmark in the landscape of Leiden. The design of the building is based on a Roman guarding tower, as the building is situated in ‘Roomburg’ business park, once the home to Roman fort Matilo.BREEAM
Score: Aim is 75% (70% is needed for Excellent)
For more details, see attached PDF
Most important innovative and environment friendly design principles of the building
Sizes (NEN 2580)
- Heat-Cold Storage (Warmte-Koude Opslag WKO in Dutch)
- Excellent Installation & Building Maintenance System with options to control Air, Heat and Cooling on a grid of 3.6 meter
- High isolation value
- Use of sustainable, eco-friendly and maintenance-low materials
- Energy-efficient installations (like LED lighting).
- Ground/Plot Area: 0,3532 ha (3.532 m²)
- Gross Floor Area 10.536 m² (including parking garage).
- Gross Floor Area per function (excl parking garage)
|Meeting space||appr 1.101 m²|
|Joint space||appr. 2.182 m²|
|Office space||appr. 2.959 m²|
|Corridor / Traffice space ||appr. 1.174 m²|
|Total||appr. 7.316 m²|
- % of outer space used for local community: Not applicable
- % of inner space used for local community: Not applicable
Measures to reduce the impact on the environmen
- total energy use: appr. 78 kWh/m² per year (gross floor area)
fossil energy: appr. 22 kWh/m² per year (gross floor area)
- Expected use of sustainable energy sources: 17,8 kWh/m2 (gross floor area)
- Expected use of water: 2982 liter per full-time employee per year: All water valves (apart from those in the kitchen and those for cleaning) will be limited to 6 liter per minute at a pressure of 3 bar. And 50% of the men’s toilets will be urinal (which limits the water usage).
- Use of rain water or grey water: None
Lessons Learned (so far)
- In the planning phase we take the breeding season for the birds into consideration. We had to remove a few trees, which happened already before March 15, 2016.
- We also replanted part of the trees & bushes & plants to the other side of the street (in winter time).
- New plants will also be planted in the appropriate seasons (preferably the fall or winter, not the summer).
- All planning & ecological activities will be handled by an expert in this field.
- In general we do like to handle the environment and nature (flora and fauna) with care.
- Straight from the start we focused on designing a green building (BREEAM Excellent). Because of that we chose quite a few of the things above (LED lighting, Heat-Cold Storage, etc). However, it was not always that clear what the cost consequence is of the various choices. A better cost-revenue analysis at the start would have avoided quite some redesign and discussion.
- A good BREAAM training of the full architecture/design team at the start also would have helped to align better.
- We started the BREEAM certification scoring & evidence too late in the process. Next time this should be earlier.